There are several important factors that form the basis, why sengon cultivation quite superior and can be an option, when compared to other commodities, which including the following:
Sengon good for farming is a type of white sengon (Albazia Falcataria) or sea sengon, with no branching characteristics of at least 9 meters long and the color of stem bark is white.
1. The use and benefits of sengon wood. Sengon trees (Albazia Falcataria), including families Mimosaceae, family petai (Parkia Speciosa) can be used starting from the leaves to the roots for various purposes.
2. Sengon leaves are excellent fodder and high in protein. Types of livestock such as cows, buffaloes, and goats love leaves of sengon.
3. Sengon root system contains many root nodules as a result of symbiosis with Rhizobium bacteria. This is beneficial for the roots and surrounding areas. The presence of root nodules can help porosity of the soil and the supply of nitrogen in the soil. So sengon can make the surrounding soil becomes more fertile.
4. Sengon currently widely used for various purposes in the form of processed wood such as blockboard, plywood, veneer, crate raw material / pallet, partition board, board cast, industrial lighters, pencils, particle board, paper pulp raw materials, etc.
Sengon cultivation system is also quite practical.
For planting, seedlings ready to be planted at least 25 cm high with the following steps:
1. Clean the area of weeds / grass.
2. After clean, do fencing if many goats / cows around the land with 1 meter high.
3. Make the planting hole by folly-bag as desired planting distance.
4. Planting seeds of Sengon immediately, preferable during the rainy season.
5. A month after being planted, fertilized with NPK subsidized (red brick), NPK given one tablespoon per tree, sown around the tree with a diameter of 10 cm and a depth of 5 cm. Close again which has been sown fertilizer.
Sengon harvesting can begin at the age of 3 years with 1,000 trees thinning, thinning 1,000 trees at the age of 4 years. and cutting all at the age of 5 years. Per Cubic harvest:
a. The age 3 years diameter 15-20 cm, 4 trees/m3.
b. The age 4 years diameter 20-25 cm, 3 trees/m3.
c. The age 5 years diameter > 25 cm, 2 trees/m3.
In addition, as a comparison of the business results, oil palm plantations from age 0 to 5 years who planted 1 hectare, can only produce 1 ton. If multiplied by Rp 1,000 then the result Rp 1,000,000 It is not much different, if the type of rubber estates. The assumption, 1 hectare of rubber plantation within 0 to 5 years old have not been able to produce latex. It means not yet in production.
The big difference will be seen and felt when investing in plants sengon. In the area of 1 hectare of plant is capable of producing 3,000 trees. This type of wood is rapidly growing. So from the point of initial planting until the age of 5 years to 1 sengon tree costs at least Rp 200,000.